Monday, August 15, 2011

Quick Fix Days 9, 10, and 11

Update:  I didn't blog over the weekend. So sorry to those of you who really missed it. I had a busy weekend, and I'm still sick, so I figured I'd just do three days in one blog today.
I'm still following most of my new guidelines, but I DID have whipped cream on top of a smoothie Saturday  night. My mother-in-law made them for us, so who was I to say no? It was delicious by the way.
Still no nuts, and I bought all natural peanut butter to try. Although, the "natural oil separation" is a big turn off, so I haven't even opened the jar yet. I keep forgetting to count my chip servings... so approximately 5-7 chips in I think "oh no!" and stop eating them all together... which I think is even better than counting out 15 chips and eating them! Who knew forgetting to do something healthy could be even healthier?? I have not yet, however, left 25% of my food on my plate. I just can't come to grips with that one.

Moving On:
9. Beware healthy items on menus - this seems counterintuitive. But what they're saying is that when something on a restaurant menu is marked with some form of a "healthy for you" icon, people tend to underestimate the number of calories by 35%. That's why, when I went to olive garden this weekend, I had the cream based soup. It wasn't marked as healthy, and I knew it was full of calories! No underestimating here!
10. Use stock instead of oil when cooking - I don't do this. Ever. Need something in the pan? Olive oil. Always. I have stock. I use stock in some things... but I never use stock when oil will do.
11. Three hours spent grocery shopping, putting the food away, and cooking/serving dinner burns 640 calories! - well that's fantastic. really. but who has that kind of time?? I don't know how much I'll get into this one. Unless I can put my month's calorie burning into one day - because my mom and I go grocery shopping once a month now. We buy an entire month's groceries at once. It usually takes us about 6 hours to do the shopping... then it takes me another hour and a half or two hours to put it all away, separate things for freezing, etc. So that one day a month I do really well!!

That's my life!

2 comments:

  1. Ryan mentioned on Friday night that you only grocery shop once a month, and I was like WHAT?! I just cannot fathom, I'm just wondering how you do this. Do you buy lots of meat & freeze it? What about your dairy items? I just can't get over only doing it 1x a month, as much as I hate grocery shopping every Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true. Once a month. I buy everything I need (usually in bulk which means saving money) and then break it down into smaller packages and store/freeze what I won't use right away. You can freeze milk and eggs too! If there's something that really doesn't store/freeze well, I make sure to use it in the first week (like salad mix or something). It works really well. I go with my mom, so it's a fun Saturday out each month. I don't hate grocery shopping anymore, and I save money!!

    ReplyDelete