Thursday, August 4, 2011

Does a quick fix ever really work? (day 1)

I know weight isn't something most women like to talk about. And I'll be honest, I don't like talking about it either. But here's why: all my life I've been naturally skinny. So anytime I talk about how my butt and thighs are too big to fit into clothing, I get lots of eye rolls. I'm not trying to say I'm fat, I know I'm not. But for my height, my thighs and hind end are a bit big proportionally speaking. I'm not trying to complain about the way I'm built, but my proportions do make clothes shopping difficult at times. If I find jeans that aren't 3-4 inches too long (no exaggerations here) I seriously can't pull them up over my bottom half! If I find dress pants that fit around my thighs, they are much too long. It's something I've always struggled with, but get very little sympathy for b/c of my naturally slender build. It's ok, I'm not asking for sympathy. But that's just a little background for you before you read the following statement: I'm going to talk in this blog about my weight. I realize I'm a small girl, but please don't roll your eyes at me. Well ok, you can roll your eyes, b/c I can't see you. But please no comments along the lines of "oh please sarah... you are like SOO skinny!!" I realize I'm small... that doesn't change the fact I'm quickly approaching the limits of my closet. Here's the story:

I've noticed over the last several months that the new clothes I bought in January (because I had outgrown the clothing I then owned) has been getting tighter and less flattering. Suddenly jeans I used to opt out of wearing b/c they were too big, have become a bit tight. Skirts I was nervous to wear b/c they might fall down, were too tight to zip closed. Shirts that used to flow nicely were tight around my middle. Clothing I purchased in January already looked a size too small on me.
It seems I'm getting bigger by the day. I have absolutely no idea why... lifestyle, slowing metabolism, stress, who knows. All I can say for sure is if I don't turn this around really quickly, I'll be buying a whole new wardrobe... for the second time this year!
So I started jogging. I was getting up a few minutes early each morning (ok ok, every other morning) and jogging around the block. About a week in though, and I noticed I had a headache every day... my stomach was upset... my chest hurt. Maybe jogging was bad for my health? So I took a break, and felt better. Alright, jogging is out. But what next? Something needs to be done!
Then today I see this article posted on twitter that talks about how you can lose 10 pounds in 5 weeks by doing simple little things that cut 500 calories a day. Sounds like a quick easy fix to me! So, question is... can it possibly work. Well, I read through the list and I have to say if I was a serious offender on all 25 counts, and cleaned up my act on all 25, I think it could work. But the truth is I already do at least half of them.
Nevertheless, I've decided to work on the second half of the list for the next 5 weeks. And we'll see what happens to my waistline. I've got 25 things to try, so I figured I'd take on one new thing each day. Subtracting some of the things I already do pretty well, I estimate I have 15 things improve on. So it'll take me two weeks before I'm doing all 25 each day. So expect lots of blog updates, as I go through the list, and let you know which ones I'm taking on new each day, and which ones are on the list but I think I already do really well. I don't have a scale so I can't tell you how much weight I gain/lose, but I will do my best to let you know how my clothes fit and I have a sewing tape I can use for measurements (so I can tell you if I've lost inches).

So starting tomorrow I'm going to:
FIDGET - apparently you can burn over 300 calories a day just by tapping your foot or pacing when you're on the phone. I have an office job and I sit in my desk chair all day. Sometimes I'm too lazy to get up and get a glass of water! Surely I can do my best to get up out of my chair a bit more... and tap my foot or swing my leg when I'm sitting in it.

This should be easy tomorrow especially, as I'm only working a half day, then meeting family for a fun day with my nieces. The next two days are weekends... so my first three days of toe-tapping should be a breeze!

That's my life!

1 comment:

  1. thats cool sarah! hope it works out! I am trying to look weight too... im a fat ass! haha

    ReplyDelete