Friday, August 12, 2011

Quick Fix Day 8

Update: I'm still sick. I seriously ate three bowls of ice cream yesterday because it was the only thing that soothed my throat. It seems I'm getting a little better today.... time will tell.
Other than my ice cream binge, I haven't broken any of my new rules... or rather guidelines. I've been fidgeting a little less, as I said yesterday... but I'll try to work on that today.

Moving On:
Next on the list is one I don't struggle with. - The list recommends that when you go out to eat, you search the menu for "mini desserts" which are smaller versions of common desserts. I don't go out to eat often, and I rarely get dessert when I do. I'm just not a big dessert eater. In fact, I eat lunch at my mom and dad's every Sunday... and my mom (or sister-in-law) always make dessert. I'd say I only eat it about half the time. It's nothing against their cooking (they both make fabulous desserts!!).... I'm just not a big sweets kind of person. If you were to put chips in front of me, I'd eat them all! So I understand the recommendation to try to eat smaller desserts... but for me, I'm just as happy skipping it all together.
So the next item to add to my list is: No smoothies for breakfast, eat oatmeal and drink black coffee instead.  I don't drink smoothies for breakfast. But I just discovered Wendy's wild berry milkshake (yum!) and I just found two recipes for making yogurt smoothies at home. I was going to try to make a yogurt smoothie that was similar to Wendy's wild berry milkshake and have those. But I guess now I better just not even bother. Most of the time I skip breakfast entirely. I get into work around 8, and by 9:30 or 10 I'm hungry so I snack (yes, usually on chips). I would say I drink coffee about 50% of the days I'm at work. I've always heard eating breakfast, even though it's more calories by adding that third meal, is healthier b/c it jump starts your metabolism. I'm not a morning person... so it's highly unlikely I'm going to get up early enough to make myself oatmeal and coffee at home. But I'm thinking of finding some oatmeal equivalent breakfast ideas that I could prepare at work (I don't really care for oatmeal all that much. Once in a while is ok, but every day would be awful). Then maybe I'll start eating breakfast at my desk when I first get in.
I'm proud of myself because I've been trying to drink my coffee a little closer to black. It's still not even close... but at least now it's sort of a dark brown, as opposed to eggshell white. I'm going to keep working on this idea of breakfast. Tomorrow I get groceries, so I'll be on the lookout for healthy "breakfast to go" items. I think I've seen oatmeal breakfast bars advertised... I'll have to see if they're as good for you as a bowl of real oatmeal.

That's my life!

2 comments:

  1. Those oatmeal square bars--- so TASTY!! The brown sugar one? :) And microwave it for like 10 secs... YUM YUM YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an awesome wild berry smoothie recipe - It has yogurt, milk, and o-juice in it too, so I would consider it pretty healthy. I can send it to you if you'd like... I'm with you on the whole breakfast thing - I rarely eat breakfast during the week and when I do, it's something like a granola bar or crackers. Justin on the other hand eats oatmeal almost every morning - To be honest, I've never tried it though, because it just doesn't look appealing, so I've assumed I wouldn't like it. Perhaps I should give it a try!... As for my coffee though, I'm proud to report that I have only ever drank it black!

    ReplyDelete